Saturday, November 17, 2012

When America Sneezes…


Somehow, I neglected my blogging duties last week! Between bouts of sickness, class preparation, and generally enjoying this little island, I just didn’t do it.

I’ll begin with the election (because, yes, it’s been that long since I posted an update). I was amazed to see how involved NZ was in the election. It consumed every news channel and pub alike- of course I was watching the news, not at the pub! In the weeks leading up to it, I had parents, teachers, and random people asking me about my political beliefs and position. Turns out I know more about our system than I even realized (no doubt thanks to Dad’s help in that silly online political science class!) One wise soul said, “Well you know, when America sneezes, the whole world catches a cold.” What happens in America trickles down and affects places like little ol’ NZ. I don’t know if that’s necessarily a good thing, but it certainly is interesting. No one here was particularly overjoyed or devastated by the results, they just like to see what will happen. Chris and I are not very political however, (much to the dismay of many of you) we are pleased with what happened.

Onward and upward! Chris and I have both been afflicted with a certain nasty tummy bug that took each of us out for a couple days. Yuck! However, while I was sick I borrowed a movie from the little girls, The Pirates! Band of Misfits. From the achingly amusing Pirate Captain, I’ve adopted a new favorite quote, “It’s only impossible if you stop to think about it.” Ah, the joys of sickness. If you haven’t seen it you should- you must. Steph and Justin, I think you would be particularly keen on it.

How could any sickness withstand a giant card from the kiddos?!?! 


Last weekend, my CT’s parents, V & B, took us on a lovely drive up to lake Tutira. Unfortunately, the lake had a rather unpleasant toxic algal bloom so we drove back down the road a few km to the White Pine Bush Scenic Reserve for a tramp through the bush. Tramping is kiwi for hiking. We started with a magnificent picnic complete with a veggie tray, pikelets (little pancake-like deliciousness), hummus, herb bread, hard-boiled eggs, and so much more!! They are too good to us! After lunch, we meandered along the mossy path for about an hour and a half, mesmerized by the grandeur of the unfamiliar flora.



B showing off a large fern unraveling

This is a HUGE tree

Admiring the canopy  
Our adventure loop  


Enjoying our sushi on the beach!! 
            I need to tell you about the sushi here. It is amazing. Not only is it relatively inexpensive, but it is also fast and delectable! It follows in the fashion of ‘take away’ style restaurants here- you go in, grab a set of tongs and a plastic to-go box then proceed down the line and pick and choose which individual rolls you want!  Ranging anywhere from NZD$1 -$2.50, it ends up being much less expensive than in the US. I love it!!!! It is my go-to meal when we’re out and about. As a Friday lunch ritual, a group of us from the school goes to the same sushi place- it’s the only place I’m a regular already!  


In other news:

            We applied for Working Holiday Scheme visas and have ‘been approved for consideration’- whatever that means. We’ve sent in our medical paperwork and they will hopefully let us know what they think soon! Essentially, this provides us with a 12-month visa and the capability to take on part-time work. Fingers crossed!!

            I mailed our paperwork while Chris was sick, and I decided to take a walk to the beach since I was down that way. I soaked up the beautiful afternoon whilst the salty breeze churned with the harsh rays of sunshine. Taking off my shoes, the smooth rocks seemed to effortlessly massage my sore Friday-feet. Reality snuck back into my peaceful state as a piece of glass grazed my foot. Bah! I decided I’d better put some shoes on and get back home to my sick man. 


At the nearest bench I assessed the wound, realized it was bleeding more than I thought, and fashioned a plaster (kiwi for bandage) out of a napkin (from the sushi place of course) and some “thank you for sharing in our special day” stickers. Naturally, that’s what was in my bag. It did the trick until I got back home!  




Pretty purple poppy on my way into town 

I got some good pictures before wounding myself! 

When you underestimate how close the wave will come...

Chris and I had a fun date night out for drinks and dessert!


Polly got a haircut!
Before
After! 


            The next two-three weeks we are in full control of the class. Finally, we are the teachers! We just aren’t paid for it! We are so ready and very excited to completely plan and edify these young, lithe minds. =D Here we go!
Morning view from school 

A wayward beach bee 

CRAZY passion fruit flower! 

Until next time!
K & C




2 comments:

  1. I especially like the flowers. Passion fruit is pretty good too. Does Chris eat Sushi? Thanks for the update Love Mom

    ReplyDelete